Hispanic Chamber honors entrepreneurs; names Capital of Texas Awards winners
The Greater Austin Hispanic Chamber of Commerce handed out its annual Capital of Texas Awards Thursday, with a special program focusing on entrepreneurial excellence.
Chamber President and CEO Mark Madrid moderated a discussion with two Latina entrepreneurs — Rosa Santana and Nelly Garcia — who spoke about their mentors and how they were inspired to create their businesses. They both received entrepreneurial awards from the chamber after their presentation.
Garcia, who operates Austin bakery business Rocheli Patisserie, told the audience that she decided from a young age not to let fear of the unknown get in the way of her plans. Garcia, who was profiled in Austin Business Journal after winning a college entrepreneur award in 2013, was also among 11 Austinitesrecently named to Forbes magazine’s national 30 Under 30 list.
Santana, who was born in Mexico, established her own staffing company, Integrated Human Capital, in El Paso some 20 years ago after being caught in a corporate down-sizing. That company has since opened 10 offices in Mexico and Texas, including Austin, where it handles staffing for clients including Dell Inc.
Santana’s newest venture, Forma Automotive, based in San Antonio, is gearing up to produce truck beds for the Toyota Motor Manufacturing Texas Inc. assembly facility in that city. She told Austin Business Journal that her new company, that is expected to go into production in August, is ramping up after hiring the first 30 of its 50 planned employees.
Here are this year’s Capital of Texas Awards recipients:
• IBC Bank Retail Award – Rae Cosmetics
• General Motors Rising Star Award – #besomebody
• Google Fiber Media Award – El Mundo Newspaper
• Austin Energy Nonprofit Award – Boys and Girls Clubs of Austin
• Brown Distributing Food & Beverage Award – Fonda San Miguel
• Seton Healthcare Family Healthcare Award – Bee Caves Acupuncture
• American Bank Technology Award – CMIT Solutions
• Capital Metro Services Award – Edu Center-Nets (APSCO Nominated)
• AT&T International Business Award – Paybook
The awards breakfast was held at the Radisson Hotel Austin.